Hi David,

Due to time constraints I can only give a quick reply at the moment.  (My
intention was to be quick.  It has now been over two hours since I started
my response - sigh).  The reason you are still waiting to hear from us (well
I can only speak for myself but I would be surprised if my reaction is not
the same as the others) is because I disagree with your chosen method of
argumentation here.  It has been pointed out to you (by Lance) that it
appears that this is a 'gotcha' question.  In other words, once it is
answered (as the question is really rhetorical - I do not know anyone that
would disagree) it is expected that you will pounce with something like, "Ah
Ha!  I can now prove your entire theory wrong."  There is a place for
'leading' questions if they are going to lead to dialogue.  I am afraid that
I interpret this as one that will result in your judgment, as opposed to you
actually wrestling with Torrance's ideas.

I consider myself quite good at arguing.  I have often 'won' an argument
even though I have been completely in the wrong.  One of the techniques I
have used is the one mentioned above.  Another is one you have also used.
You will posit a question and then put Yes/No at the end of it.  I find that
this does not lead to discussion that goes anywhere.  Instead it allows one
person to be able to pounce on the other (Gotcha). The problem with my use
of such methods in arguing is that I am not really appreciating what the
other person is trying to say.  Rather I spend all my time breaking down
their side of the argument.  There is no true dialogue, no give and take and
very little understanding.  A few people have pointed out a perceived tone
or arrogance in some of your posts (others have pointed out that they do not
see this).  I would suggest that those who have seen it may be picking up on
some of my points above.  Communication is hard enough in person let alone
in email.  I hope you do not consider what I am saying as me attempting to
put you down; I am just trying to explain why I have not responded to your
question.

Now to the rest of your email which I do consider attempts at dialogue with
us.  Time is running out on me tonight so my comments will probably be far
too short to be of much use.  My numbers will correspond to the numbers you
used as sections in your post below.

1.  There are indeed many passages that seem to say that faith puts us in
right relationship with God.  As has been shown to you there are also many
passages that seem to assert that faith is not necessary.  The question that
this will always come down to is the following:  Who do you think God is?
If one believes that God is the white-haired judge looking down eager to
smite sinners then you will create conditions to make sure that you are
removed from this wrath.  If God hates sinners like you say He does than we
better create a complex religion to ensure that we are not one of those
sinners He will smite (or somehow become sinless).  If one believes that the
Father lovingly accepts all of His creation through Christ and desires to
share the relationship He has with his Son and Spirit then you will read the
Bible entirely differently.  Theologically, if one starts with the Fall of
Adam (the problem of sin) you will end up with a much different view of the
gospel than if you started with the loving relationship that the Triune God
enjoys prior to creation.  Starting with sin one views Christ as the one who
deals with sin and as the Judge.  If you start with who God is you end up
with adoption, or the cry of God saying absolutely NO to you not being
included.  My point here is that we are speaking out of different paradigms.
One is a product of man attempting to make oneself right with God, the other
the biblical model of who God is and communicates Himself to be.

You state, "It seems foolish to me for anyone to remove the faith of the
believer from the gospel message."  From my perspective it seems foolish for
anyone to add faith of the believer to the gospel message.  Faith is always
a response to grace, never a precursor for grace.  Making the presence of
faith a condition is to make faith into a law.  I think that the Bible makes
it clear that we will always fall short of the law.  In fact the law exists
in order to point this out!  Without grace we are all sunk on the bottom of
a very deep sea.

You state, "If I believed this stuff that Torrance teaches, I would never
challenge anyone."  I would suggest that this is a rather unbiblical view of
evangelism.  The good news that we have to tell others is what God has done
to put us in right relationship with Himself (2 Cor 5:19), not what we can
do (have faith, repent etc) to be put in right relationship with Him.  The
gospel is NOT a challenge.  It is a declaration!  It is a declaration of
God's radical (and scandalous) grace.  Amen.

2.  David says, "Jesus is presented as a Judge, which means that Jesus casts
people into hell.  He does so from anger, from "the wrath of God."  God is
angry with the wicked and hates them."  This is such a sad and pitiful view
of God that I am almost at a loss for words here.  What I have to say here
will have to wait for my posts on hell.  Suffice it to say God's anger is
never eternal while his love is.  God's mercy and faithfulness are forever,
His wrath and anger but for a minute.

3.  Just a few points here.  David, I would be very careful of creating
doctrine (what we dogmatically say about God) from the Psalms.  It can lead
to all sorts of hi-jinks and certainly does here.  This is the Psalmist
saying what he thinks of God, not to be confused with who God actually is or
what God would say about Himself.  Contrast this with the Psalmist saying
that even in death God would be with him (Psalm 139) or Paul's announcement
that nothing, and I mean nothing (Romans 8:35-39) can separate us from the
love of Christ.  Note verse 7 of Psalm 5 which refers to God's "unfailing
love."  He hates sinners and still loves them unfailingly?  I think your
views on God's anger and wrath are skewed and do not portray an accurate
representation of the God Christians worship.  The other point I would make
is that you seem to confuse judgment with eternal punishment in hell.  They
are vastly different (one biblical, the other not).  A post on God's
judgment will have to be forthcoming.

As I mentioned elsewhere I have a stereotype of street preachers.  Part of
it is that I think that street preachers enjoy the judgment or wrath side of
God.  In fact it seems as if there is even a nuance of it (mostly always
from the Old Testament) there arises a certain eagerness and even glee when
discussing these texts.  They become the lens through which they interpret
much of scripture.  The non-street preacher succumbs to this just as easily
in their pronouncements against all types of people that they do not believe
should be allowed to be included in Christ (gays, women teachers, and torah
breakers are favourite targets on this forum).  I once had a response on
this forum that said, "How dare you say that [certain political leaders] are
included in Christ?"  My answer would be, "How dare you not hope that they
are?"  I think that one of these responses is ungodly.

I do appreciate you taking the time to read one of Torrance's books.  What I
would like to see is that we take a chapter at a time and discuss it,
emailing what we liked and don't like.  If we do it that way the chance for
an honest dialogue is heightened not only because it allows others to see a
summary of a work they do not have but because otherwise it begins to turn
into a bit of a nitpicking fest.  If you have any suggestions on how we can
have honest fruitful dialogue here please speak up.

Saddened,

Jonathan