-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ken Wallis
Sent: Friday, 24 September 2004 9:52 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [U2] Editors (was: Comparison Unidata and Universe)

Scott,

vim is free software too.  You can make a donation to charity, but you don't
have to pay a license fee.

As I understand it, vim originated as an improved version of vi on UNIX and
has since been ported to Windows.  Its a wonderful product, widely used,
robust, fast.  If you like vi, you'll like vim.  vim has every feature that
vi has, plus many others.  As I said the two that spring to mind as
immediately useful are that it has unlimited undo - every time you press 'u'
or click the undo button it backs out a previous change, where in vi, the
first 'u' undoes, and then the next 'u' undoes the undo...; and that it
remembers your previous searches and ':' commands - you can scroll through
them with the cursor.

I understand that you may be 'free-time challenged', but I'd say that vim is
seriously worth checking out. (www.vim.org)

Cheers,

Ken