I thought I'd add my experiences of using the container from DOliana /
LMS in Docker. In general it works well.

- I used to roll my own. But the automated pipeline that DOliana means
  the container is always fresh. I like it. I'm not about to get
  involved in the update in place discussion, but I can easily pull the
  new image when there is an update, and it just works. :)
- You need to use the host based networking (or the default bridge)
  for LMS. I struggled for a long time to work in a Docker isolated
  network, but I assume LMS is doing some low level packet work that
  simply isn't compatible. (This is the case even with a remote
  library.)
- I'm one of those weird souls who uses Swarm. The need for host based
  networking means load balanced ingress networking doesn't work. :(
- It runs well across my Swarm made of Raspberry Pi's and amd64
  systems.
- If the container shifts nodes, plays can reconnect fine (obviously
  the volume data needs to move too).
- My main pain at the moment is that in LMS remote libraries appear to
  require an IP (rather than a hostname). I'm exploring keepalived to
  provide a virtual/floating ip address that will point to the
  node/container that is running LMS and not need to keep poking at the
  players.
- If remote libraries allowed for the use of a hostname, I could use
  DNS to failover. But never mind.
- If you set up a new player, you also need to have a locally running
  container that the player does discovery of to at least once.
  Otherwise you cannot use remote libraries. The setup routine insists
  upon it.
- Because of the need for host networking, you might as well use
  --network host and not worry about port forwarding. :) (Though I can't
  in Swarm.) Then the average person doesn't need to worry what ports
  are being used by what plugin, etc. Slightly more insecure, but no
  less than a local installation.