BobSammers wrote:

> I agree with epoch1970: images are supposed to be immutable, and if
> you're doing updates in the container, you're not doing it the "docker
> way".

To avoid confusion for others in what you and epoch1970 have said,
images *are always* immutable, they are used to create containers.
Containers have a rw top layer filesystem, and would rarely if ever work
if they were not allowed to write to the filesystem.

So your concern is over how much writing containers are allowed to do,
and whether patching parts of the software installed in the container is
too much or objectionable for philosophical (not techincal) reasons.
I'm suggesting this is a perfectly reasonable thing to do for
minor/patch updates.  But I'm not trying to force it on anyone -- you
don't have to download server updates in LMS and you can remove and
recreate the container if you want to start from a clean slate, no
problem.  And I would still suggest that major/stable releases have
their own images built.

BobSammers wrote:

> Because image immutability is one of the goals of Docker, the process
> for creating an updated image is streamlined as much as it can be and
> where possible, steps are cached. I can recreate the arm image from the
> Dockerfile with an updated LMS in a minute or so on a Pi and it doesn't
> take appreciably longer if all the cached layers are invalidated.

This is a very good point to make because perhaps some people imagine it
is difficult to make Docker images.  Docker makes it very easy, there is
no need to install a separate build environment or anything like that,
the build commands run inside containers when the image is created, you
have everything you need once you install Docker and have a Dockerfile.
Typically the Dockerfile contains installation commands which rely on
previously packages software (rather than building from scratch), so
those are easy to write too.  You can tune your own images to your
heart's content, one of the joys of the framework.

Nonetheless, even though building images is easy to do, not everyone
wants to do it and it is still more trouble than just pulling images
distributed on Docker hub.  So providing trustworthy images which work
out-of-the-box without requiring frequent updates (either in-place or
with 700mb downloads) is useful for the community.

Bottom line: there are many choices around containerisation strategy and
the way you want to manage your own machines in your own home.