Necromancyr wrote:
> But, I'm not able to determine is WHERE volumes are actually stored if
> you use Linux Containers on Windows.  Based on the location shown in
> portainer, I think it's actually generated within the LinuxVM used for
> Linux Containers in Windows and isn't actually present anywhere on the
> host system. This defeats the purpose a bit since I can't access those
> files directly.

So, I don't really know Docker on Windows (or Windows really), but
'StackOverflow discusses it here'
(https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61083772/where-are-docker-volumes-located-when-running-windows-and-wsl).
As you say, they appear to be in some sort of VM.

But my question is why do you want to access the files directly? The
point of a volume is that you can just let Docker deal with it.

Necromancyr wrote:
> Given, I could be misunderstanding the intention of volumes totally.

Using Docker often means changing how you think about things. It might
help to think less where files are, and instead think about the volume
as a journalling mechanism. It captures all the changes that an app
makes, like a snapshot.  And this is then very portable. (I over
simplify.)

Apart from backups, I don't think I've ever wanted to access the LMS
volume.  If you wanted to pock around, you can spin up another
container, connect the volume to it, and do what you want.  Take a look
at the Docker documentation on volumes, specifically, 'making a backup
of a volume'
(https://docs.docker.com/storage/volumes/#backup-restore-or-migrate-data-volumes).
One command will make a Ubuntu container to access your volume and tar
the contents to a file for you.

If there is something you specifically need to edit or change within the
container, then these days it is common to use environment variables to
specify options to the image. This lets a container be very disposable,
and you may not need a volume at all.  One potential feature for the LMS
container would be to specify a Spotify username and password as an
environment variable in the compose file. Then, when you spin up the
container, you don't need to do setup; Spotty is set up and ready to
run.