Hi Andrew..

Yeah that is a nice workflow, I also use this approach many times !
Its many times very good to create several subobject like this, and tweak them until they are ready to be blended together with the main object(s).... As it can be much easier to control the parts when they are separate, than when they are all points on the same object.

Thx for reminding about this way...

Take Care
Best Regards
Stefan Gustafsson ( Beg-inner )
A Proud Owner and User of Real3D and Realsoft3D..

Henry,

 Making that object is very simple at most a couple of minutes:

Make the 4 spheres in correct alignment as you want, (sds spheres)
Select them all and hit the merge objects button
Select the sds and goto face edit mode
Select a face on one of the smaller outlaying spheres and a corresponding
face on the large central sphere
(You may have to rotate some of the spheres to correctly align the faces)
After selecting the 2 faces hit the sds Tunnel tool, this will form the arm
joining the spheres between the faces
Repeat for the other 2 spheres
Using the knife tool add a set of points around through the arms about
halfway out
Goto point mode and select all the smaller spheres and the new central arm
points and rotate them about the central sphere
De-select the central arm points and rotate again just the small spheres

Basically done. .. You may need some extra control pints around where your
arms meet the center sphere to suite the amount of blending you want ,

It is faster really to do than to write, regarding your other comments I
really think you need to have some more experience with realsoft before you can make any comment, realsoft has some drawbacks but they are certainly not in modelling, I think you are trying to apply your c4d experience too much,
read the manual and practice particularly with sds.

 Btw I use rs commercially everyday to do animation nothing you have
mentioned in your posts has been the least concern to me, actually modelling
is one of realsofts really strong points.

Andrew Berge