Look Neil, one person called it "the most viewed IntelliJ issue", you
called it "essential to *whom*?!", very well, but it is just few lines of
easy code, practically zero maintenance.

This behaviour is intentional. I am sorry you hate it but there are
users who love it. There is no plan to change it.

Essential to *whom*?!  Doesn't look like that many users were that bothered!

Do you see any similarities? Can you show me one case of such an attitude
of IntelliJ devs towards their users?

And why it matters? Because one day, I may find some other behavior in
Netbeans which me (and a lot of others) find troublesome, and which can be
corrected with few lines of easy code and an option hidden in some
registry, practically zero maintenance. But we we may just be told to go
away, because "I am sorry, go away".

Why should I risk it?