Maven does this as well, and there are configurations (as well as
command line options) to manage this.

I would not be happy with a tool that changed the pom.xml or it's
meaning. I like that I get a warning, and then I get to decide how to
address it.

For me, managing JDK versions by using Tools->Java Platforms works as
long as I'm in the IDE. For a more robust solution, Maven provides
documentation on how to manage multiple (and appropriate) JDK installations.

. . . just my two cents.
/mde/

On 2/20/2020 4:15 AM, Emilian Bold wrote:
> [...]
>> for the past three decades where you have a menu bar, starting with
>> File, then Edit, then maybe some more, and end with Extras and Help -
>> and to just put an "options" or "settings" into one of those - and offer
>> the same settings dialog as mentioned before? How old is Netbeans? 15+
>> years? And it's menus are that - sorry to say it this directly:
>> immature? It's like an early not feature complete alpha where someone
>> couldn't decide just where to put it.
>> Back to modern days: Java 11 doesn't allow compiling for Java 5 any
>> more. It's a simple if() just to check for the version of the compiler -
>> and if it's 11 or above set the minimum target compiling level to at
>> least 6 and disable any lower versions. C'mon - don't tell me 100s of
>> devs could get this done in the time this exists.
>> All made fun about me cause I'm using just a simple editor with some
>> basic syntax highlight and a terminal to compile. If I see what a mess
>> and overhead all this fancy IDEs and build-tools costs - wich in fact
>> they're supposed to do for the dev - not in addition to it - what's the
>> benefit of wasting time to figure out how to get around simplest fails
>> done in every beginners for dummies book?
>>
>> I'm done with it - back to the old style - that at least did what I told
>> to do ..
>>
>> Am 20.02.2020 um 03:45 schrieb Mark Eggers:
>>> First of all, I'm just a happy NetBeans user.
>>>
>>> Second of all, this is just my opinion.
>>>
>>> So let me try to understand your problem first.
>>>
>>> 1. You crashed what appears to be a Windows data and programs disk
>>>
>>> This is different than where your user profile is stored. I understand
>>> this, since I do the same thing to minimize usage of a small OS SSD
>> drive.
>>>
>>> 2. You reinstalled NetBeans on a new disk
>>>
>>> 3. You recovered your NetBeans projects on a new disk
>>>
>>> The problem is that the 'Recent Projects' list links to the wrong
>>> location. I'm guessing that this is the case since either drive letters
>>> have changed or directories have changed.
>>>
>>> In addition, there may be a lot of issues with the cache.
>>>
>>> The best solution is to:
>>>
>>> 1. Ignore the 'Recent Projects' list until you've opened 10 or more
>> projects
>>>
>>> As Gj has pointed out, editing the projectui.properties file is not
>>> something that should be done. I confess that I've done it, but it's not
>>> trivial.
>>>
>>> Just don't do it.
>>>
>>> 2. Before starting NetBeans, delete the cache directory.
>>>
>>> In short, both will be rebuilt properly by NetBeans as you use the IDE.
>>>
>>> As to your setting a target below 6 with JDK 11: - you can't. This is a
>>> JDK limitation.
>>>
>>> If you want to compile (and be proper) a J2EE 2.5 project, with source
>>> and target set to 1.5 (in Maven parlance), then you have one option that
>>> I can see.
>>>
>>> a. Install JDK / JRE 8 along with JDK / JRE 11.
>>> b. In Tools->Java Platforms, register the JDK 8 platform