Am 13.11.2014 um 15:55 schrieb Axb:
On 11/13/2014 03:42 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
Am 13.11.2014 um 15:21 schrieb Axb:
On 11/13/2014 03:09 PM, Niamh Holding wrote:
OS CentOS 6.4

6.4 is old - centos 6.6
(do you seriously make a point of running old versions?)

yum only offers  3.3.1-3.el6

forget SA from YUM /Distro packages. - it ties you to, as Benny sez,
"precompiled problems" :)

bad advise, in you are doing that throw away CentOS and just use Fedora,
it has at least recent SA packages and a recent userland make
upgrades/builds in the future easier

grab the src.rpm, replace the tarball with the recent and take this as
starting point - frankly that way you get first the list of all missing
"BuildRequires" and at the end a recent SA RPM package with clear deps
and a clean system

doing that for apache, mysql, php, postfix, dovecot, dbmail,
mod_security and a lot of other packages for many years to override
distro packages without break the system over time

blah, blah, blah... I'm trying to save the guy's ass so he gets a
working server with least effort

least effort *now* but in 3 years on that machine...

and you're suggesting he change distro

no, i just said if you bypass the package management, bring manual downloaded packages from unsafe 3rd party repos if you enable them unconditional in the mix youre defeating the whole purpose of RHEL

make RPMs when he already has trouble deciding if optional packages ar
required or not? Lets be real...

rebuild the src.rpm with a new tarball answers that question because it specifies dependecies, even for the build itself

Pls stay in your hole

wow

and allow me to get this guy off this thread

so allow me to make clear that bypass the package managagement over the long may not be a good idea - building a RPM the first time may take longer but it keeps your setup maintainable for many years

there is a difference between *you* as upstream developer knowing all the pieces, dependencies and programming language very well and a ordinary enduser