On 11/13/2014 04:17 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

least effort *now* but in 3 years on that machine...

that gives the victim enough time to learn the process and apply to a new setup...

and you're suggesting he change distro
no, i just said if you bypass the package management, bring manual
downloaded packages from unsafe 3rd party repos if you enable them
unconditional in the mix youre defeating the whole purpose of RHEL

afaik, repoforge is far from unsafe - they have never broken a Centos setup and don't add extra dependemncies as some other repos do.

make RPMs when he already has trouble deciding if optional packages ar
required or not? Lets be real...

rebuild the src.rpm with a new tarball answers that question because it
specifies dependecies, even for the build itself

at this point, this is way too complicated to do as a hand holding job over a mailing list.

so allow me to make clear that bypass the package managagement over the
long may not be a good idea - building a RPM the first time may take
longer but it keeps your setup maintainable for many years

I see your point, but I don't think it's the right moment to sugest a change in strategy...

there is a difference between *you* as upstream developer knowing all
the pieces, dependencies and programming language very well and a
ordinary enduser

I'm an ordinary end user - my advice was given based on what I know works with least long term pain and least steep learning curve. We don't have to argue or agree on some strategy, we just need to finish a hand holding job so the lady can start a weekend knowing the box is tagging spam.