Yes, understood. This was always about my own MTA receiving a message
appearing to be "FROM" my own domain, and my own SPF record would be
used to check the IP of the remote system to determine if it was
permitted. I may have made that especially clear at one point.

Does this make sense now? I'm trying to use my SPF record to verify
mail FROM our domain being received by our MX is not spoofed.

Right, that was understood.

My response was based on how you worded your question, which has been
removed from the thread now:

> > Please help me understand why SPF_FAIL would not be triggered when > >
> > an incoming email using my domain is received by a server that is > > not in
> > my SPF record.

The SPF fail SHOULD be triggered in that case. But in your first mail you
have mentioned T_SPF_PERMERROR hits instead and later you have denied it...

it's hard to explain why it does not work if you don't provide proper info.

I was addressing the apparent assumption within that question that the
recipient MTA matters to SPF validation.