Am 10.12.2015 um 15:56 schrieb Alex:
Please help me understand why SPF_FAIL would not be triggered when >

  > > an incoming email using my domain is received by a server that is >
  > > not in
  > > my SPF record.

The SPF fail SHOULD be triggered in that case. But in your first mail you
have mentioned T_SPF_PERMERROR hits instead and later you have denied it...

I thought it was related to the sending domain, which it was, but I
later learned one of the includes in our domain was also apparently
expanded, and caused our SPF record to temporarily exceed the 10 DNS
query limit, confusing the entire situation.

well, thats the price you have to pay when you spread "your" services all over the world, hence the testing-tool i linked :-)