From: Nathan Hartman <hartman.nat...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2021 5:57 PM
To: Tomasz Lubinski <t.lubin...@verocel.pl>
Cc: Subversion <users@subversion.apache.org>; Johan Corveleyn
<jcor...@gmail.com>; Daniel Sahlberg <daniel.l.sahlb...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Subversion 1.14.1 and serf 1.3.9

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 8:06 AM Johan Corveleyn <jcor...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > Den tors 21 okt. 2021 kl 13:39 skrev Tomasz Lubinski
> > <t.lubin...@verocel.pl>:
> >> Very strange problem with assembly code in zlib 1.2.11.

<snip>

> Indeed, zlib's assembly code seems to be unreliable on Windows. When I
> build / test (for signing new releases) on Windows, I never use the
> assembly build of zlib anymore (ever since I ran into problems with it
> years ago).

I thought we had that documented somewhere but I can't seem to find it now. I
remember reading a recommendation not to use the assembly build of zlib because
of various issues. It may have been in the mailing list archives.

Compilers these days have gotten so good that I think it's a waste of time to
write hand-coded assembly unless there's a very specific and very special use
case requiring exact control over something. Data structure and algorithm
design make a far bigger impact than trying to save a few cycles. :-)

Hope you get better results now!

Cheers,
Nathan