On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 8:06 AM Johan Corveleyn <jcor...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > Den tors 21 okt. 2021 kl 13:39 skrev Tomasz Lubinski
> > <t.lubin...@verocel.pl>:
> >> Very strange problem with assembly code in zlib 1.2.11.

<snip>

> Indeed, zlib's assembly code seems to be unreliable on Windows. When I
> build / test (for signing new releases) on Windows, I never use the
> assembly build of zlib anymore (ever since I ran into problems with it
> years ago).

I thought we had that documented somewhere but I can't seem to find it
now. I remember reading a recommendation not to use the assembly build
of zlib because of various issues. It may have been in the mailing
list archives.

Compilers these days have gotten so good that I think it's a waste of
time to write hand-coded assembly unless there's a very specific and
very special use case requiring exact control over something. Data
structure and algorithm design make a far bigger impact than trying to
save a few cycles. :-)

Hope you get better results now!

Cheers,
Nathan