On Wed, Apr 8, 2020, 18:11 James H. H. Lampert <jam...@touchtonecorp.com>
wrote:

> And as to vendor-supplied installations, I agree with you. I'm rather
> irritated with the "Debianism" of splitting Tomcat up so completely that
> webapp contexts can be in at least two different places, and the general
> "Linuxism" of *not* including manager and host-manager (although I've
> never needed the latter) in the basic installation, and sometimes not
> even including a default root.

It's not just a Debian thing - it's a Linux distro idiosyncrasy.

And you don't have to use a distro's Tomcat layout / configuration.  We
don't - we download P.V. Tomcat and extract to /opt (obviously, one could
choose to install to /usr/local if building) and use separate CATALINA_BASE
and CATALINA_HOME.