On 4/8/2020 6:42 PM, calder wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2020, 18:11 James H. H. Lampert <jam...@touchtonecorp.com>
> wrote:
>

>> And as to vendor-supplied installations, I agree with you. I'm rather
>> irritated with the "Debianism" of splitting Tomcat up so completely that
>> webapp contexts can be in at least two different places, and the general
>> "Linuxism" of *not* including manager and host-manager (although I've
>> never needed the latter) in the basic installation, and sometimes not
>> even including a default root.
>>

> It's not just a Debian thing - it's a Linux distro idiosyncrasy.
>
> And you don't have to use a distro's Tomcat layout / configuration.  We
> don't - we download P.V. Tomcat and extract to /opt (obviously, one could
> choose to install to /usr/local if building) and use separate CATALINA_BASE
> and CATALINA_HOME.

That's what I do as well. I use Ant scripts plus some property files to
configure things. When a new version is rolled out, I edit a property
file, build the new CATALINA_BASE directories with the Ant scripts, and
I've got the new setup.

To put the new setup into production, I shut down the existing Tomcats,
move some links around, and bring up the new Tomcats. If the new Tomcats
fail to come up properly, I swap the links back, bring up the old
Tomcats, and then take a look at the logs in the appropriate CATALINA_BASE.

The advantage to this setup is that I can do all of my upgrading except
for the link swap at any time. The actual outage time is minutes.

I should script the link swapping as well to shorten the down time and
remove the chance of fat-fingering things.

. . . just my two cents
/mde/