I don't have enough reputation points to comment on your question on
serverfault.

Is your DocumentRoot (/var/www/html/test) underneath the default
DocumentRoot (normally /var/www/html)?

I found the problem, and it wasn't a [profanity] server problem; it was a [profanity] client problem!

This morning, I looked at the server access log, and found that I was only showing up if I explicitly asked for the test page.

So then, I used a utility called "Postman" to do a GET on "http://qux.baz.com";, and THAT retrieved the test page just fine.

So then, I bit the [profanity] bullet, and cleared every-[profanity]-thing out of both Firefox and Chrome: history, cookies, persistent sign-ons, everything.

And suddenly, "http://qux.baz.com"; started working just fine.

And I'm suddenly very fluent in "Army Creole," and when I'm no longer swearing every other [profanity] word, ready to take the next step with this thing.

--
JHHL