On 4/8/2020 4:11 PM, James H. H. Lampert wrote:

> Dear Mr. Eggers (et al.):
>
> I'm still not clear on what that even *does* (and the official docs
> leave me even more confused: "only allow hosts in . . . to access
> content via your proxy"); could you (or somebody else) explain it?
> Remember, while I may be (deservedly or otherwise) a guru on getting
> Tomcat running on an IBM Midrange box, I have no illusions about having
> the slightest clue what I'm doing with httpd. Yesterday, I was tearing
> my hair out because certbot wasn't working, only to discover that I had
> a malformed VirtualHost.
>
> And as to vendor-supplied installations, I agree with you. I'm rather
> irritated with the "Debianism" of splitting Tomcat up so completely that
> webapp contexts can be in at least two different places, and the general
> "Linuxism" of *not* including manager and host-manager (although I've
> never needed the latter) in the basic installation, and sometimes not
> even including a default root.
>
> --

Basically, the <Proxy *> is applied to all the proxy statements in your
configuration.

See

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxy

for some examples.

The Require statement means only allow connections from what is required
- in my example 127 gets mapped to 127.0.0.1 (localhost).

So the configuration that I have given restricts all proxy connections
to localhost, which means that no outside proxy connections are
possible. This is a good thing, I think.

So if I remember everything correctly, you could be really specific with
the following:

<Proxy "https://qux.baz.com";>
        Require ip 127.0.0.1
</Proxy>

Place this inside the virtual host defined in the appropriate ssl.conf
snippet. I think that you have an ssl.conf file per domain, right?

Then in the non-ssl snippet, you would rewrite all the requests to go to
HTTPS.

Again, please verify this with an Apache HTTPD expert, and discuss this
on the Apache HTTPD mailing list. I do all of this with mod_jk, so my
configuration is quite a bit different.

Again, I personally like the broad brush approach and then override
specifics per virtual host. Sort of a combination of least permissions
plus management by exception.

. . . just my two cents
/mde/