Dear Mr. Eggers, et al.:

Well, after running test installations of Tomcat on a whole string of EC2 spot instances, I went ahead and installed it on the target server. I've got it running, and enabled to start automatically, and I've added a security group to temporarily open 8080 to my office IP address, so that I can reach it directly and verify that it works (it does). And I've also verified that mod_proxy and mod_proxy_http are enabled (they already were; I didn't have to lift a finger)