PL/1 was a nice break from extending FORTRAN IV with BAL (Assembler).

Wow real pointers and character strings!

I seem to recall there was a version on the Prime minicomputers - IRC they had
a version of the PIC OS.

Primos came out of the Boston area, was a son of Multics and a brother OS to
Unix. Wiki proves my memory fairly accurate -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Computer