On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 12:12 AM, nlif <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks Igor,
>
> While it is very good to know that it's relatively easy to develop Wicket
> components, bear in mind that management (at least mine) is more easily
> convinced when presented with a wide selection of 3rd party component
> libraries, since that provides an alternative to allocating time and
> resources of our own developers. Thus, for them, the issue is decided more
> an economical merits, then on its design/architectural ones.

well, if we are talking in purely managerial/economical terms then i
would definately go with jsf.
a) it is always easy to find very high-paid consultants to rescue a
project that is running late or is totally broken, lots of companies
out there offer jsf consulting services
b) it is much easier to find someone to replace you when you screw up,
there are many more job postings for jsf then for wicket
c) it is much easier to find someone to replace you when you ask for a
raise, see above

> This is a classic advantage a standard solution usually offers - a thriving
> ecosystem. (than again, I've got to admit, I don't really know that much
> about JSF's ecosystem...).

i havent seen an ecosystem yet, but maybe im not looking very hard.

> How many Wicket components are there, and how mature are there? Are there
> tables with sorting, filtering, scrolling, paging etc.? Are there
> tree-controls with all the typical tree-functions? Is there Ajax support, as
> well automatic fallback for non-javascript browsers (and what about comet)?

if you cannot find this on your own then i dont think you will enjoy
wicket at all. wicket is not about serving up everything on a silver
platter. the answers to these questions are only a short trip away
from looking at wicket-examples.

-igor