Hi Rob,

Very helpful tips; see below.

Robert Jones wrote:
Michael K. Bergman wrote:
The ODS main menu is based on the ods-bar framework with associated code based in ods_bar.vspx, ods_bar.xsl, ods-bar.css and related ones having to do with user instances. ods_bar.xsl appears to be the main one.

As an ODS sys admin, it is possible to change menu labels via the ODS UI using the Site Settings -> Application Menu dialog. However, the distributed menu option 'Discussion' is not provided there, and there is a difference in handling apps (e.g., Briefcase) vs profile info (e.g., Tags).

Because the functions below are not possible via the ODS UI (or if so, I have not found them! :) ), I have been probing the ODS source code attempting to:

1.  Add new menu links

2.  Remove some of the existing ones

3.  Change menu item orders, and

4.  Modify the Discussion label.

I have been trying to trace code and make mods in various locations, to no effect. I have even gone so far as to try modifying DB.DBA.WA_GET_APP_NAME directly through Conductor and in hosted_services.sql.

Mike,

are you making use of trace_on(<thing>) ?

No, I'm not; this is the first I have heard of it. If you could point me to some documentation, that would be great.

Can anyone provide guidance about where I should next look regarding these questions?

I haven't looked into the exact location of this yet so I can't say whether you are in the right/wrong place, however, more generally when using VSPX sources you are subject to compilation caching. You may have thought you edited the right thing but nothing happened. In most cases changes are automatically detected, but occasionally you have to "stale" the XSLs involved (especially when they are included at depth) using xslt_stale() but you need to know the URL used internally which isn't always obvious. If in doubt a server restart is a surefire way to test this.

Ah, I very much suspected this, though I was locally clearing out browser cache's to no avail. My suspicion was further confirmed when I saw some changes appear after re-starting the system overnight.

Please do provide general guidance on this one. I suspect if I am doing interactive development, that I will want to "stale" the XSLs on a routine basis. (Is any similar process recommended for SQL changes as well?)

Thanks, Mike

If this is of any use we can work out what you need to stale.

Rob.

--

Michael K. Bergman
Web Scientist