Hi Rob,

This is mightily helpful, and certainly alerts me to the fact I need to be paying more attention to: http://docs.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/functions.html

I had reviewed this Chap 23 in some detail before, but did not/could not recognize what was important or not. I note, for example, that mentions of both trace_on and xslt_stale are mostly restricted to this chapter (that is, not in the general Virtuoso documentation).

Thanks ... see below.

Robert Jones wrote:
Michael K. Bergman wrote:

[snip]

Please do provide general guidance on this one. I suspect if I am doing interactive development, that I will want to "stale" the XSLs on a routine basis. (Is any similar process recommended for SQL changes as well?)

You do not need to do this for general SQL, only XSL-style transformation resources like those used in VSPX.

see:
http://docs.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/fn_xslt_stale.html

Where are your XSLs coming from?

If DAV then there is the "virt://..." style URI, but from the file system its "file://...". If you are trying to stale an included sheet then you will probably have to stale sheets from that level upwards.

The actual documentation states:

"This function never needs to be applied to a stylesheet URI with the file:// protocol since xslt() and http_xslt() will automatically detect a stale cache entry."

Does that mean the 'file:// ...' portion above can be ignored?

Also, the documentation shows this example:

sheet := 'virt://WS.WS.SYS_DAV_RES.RES_FULL_PATH.RES_CONTENT:/DAV/stylesheets/document.xsl';
xslt_stale (sheet);
xslt(sheet, xml_doc_tree);

Does this mean that the procedure reference has to be included (in other words, 'virt://DAV/stylesheets/document.xsl' does not work?

And finally, is there some way to put a statement in the source file (xslt()???) temporarily during iterative development that could bypass a forced stale?

(Just looking for an easier path! :) )

Thanks, Mike