At 3:51 PM -0600 10/16/06, Mark Berryman wrote:
>More and more of the modules I  need to install in Perl generate a message
>similar to the following:
>
>$ perl makefile.pl
>==> ExtUtils::AutoInstall 0.52 required. Install it from CPAN? [Y/n]
>
>If I understand correctly, this is a module that automatically installs
>dependencies from CPAN, which currently does not work in VMS.  What options do
>I have to get such modules installed (I'd do them manually if I knew how).

The documentation for ExtUtils::AutoInstall describes options for
checking dependencies without taking action and for skipping
dependencies entirely.  It may be possible to do something like

$ perl Makefile.PL --checkdeps

manually install everything it says you need, then

$ perl Makefile.PL --skipdeps

Things might be a bit worse than that, though.  Based on the message
you got, you may well have a bootstrap version of
ExtUtils::AutoInstall that only knows enough to try to download the
latest version of itself, except I doubt it really can do that.  You
could try to install it manually in the build directory of the
extenstion you are trying to build  by downloading it independently
and putting it under inc/ExtUtils/AutoInstall.pm.

I've never tried what I'm describing, just speculating based on the docs at:

http://search.cpan.org/~autrijus/ExtUtils-AutoInstall-0.63/lib/ExtUtils/AutoInstall.pm

Craig A. Berry
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 difficult than getting in."