Michael G Schwern wrote:
Craig Berry wrote:
Fix it?  What's broken about it on VMS?  There's a distinct lack of VMS bug
reports in its bug queue and I have a commit bit.
http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=ExtUtils-AutoInstall
The "it" that doesn't work on VMS is CPAN (the module, not the archive), not
necessarily ExtUtils::AutoInstall (though I'm not sure about that either).  Fixing either
one might well be non-trivial.  Reporting bugs certainly can't hurt, though there are
very few CPAN authors with the ability and inclination to reproduce and fix VMS-specific
bugs.  But the main problem is that none of the observed symptoms give us any idea which
module to report a bug against.

When in doubt, start with the top.  Report it to CPAN.pm.

Some of the bugs are definitely in CPAN.pm. Issuing sudo commands on VMS is typically rather non-productive, for example (which this module currently does).

Otherwise the META.yml file will list a module's dependencies for manual
installation.
Determining a module's dependencies is not the problem. In fact, I had already installed all of this particular module's dependencies before I even attempted to install the module. Attempting to install the module results in the following:
$ perl makefile.pl
==> ExtUtils::AutoInstall 0.52 required. Install it from CPAN? [Y/n] n
Can't locate ExtUtils/AutoInstall.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
What module did this happen with?  Since ExtUtils::AutoInstall is supposed to
be included in every module that uses it, it seems like a bug to require a
higher version of it than the one it comes with.

There is a documented option to ship a nasty, compressed block of code to
self-install ExtUtils::AutoInstall which has little hope of working most anywhere
but Unix.  I suspect its using that or one of the many earlier versions (*sigh* cut
& code).

http://search.cpan.org/~autrijus/ExtUtils-AutoInstall-0.63/lib/ExtUtils/AutoInstall.pm#Self-Download_Code
Yup, that is what in the modules in question. This appears to be how the author SPEEVES does his modules as all the ones I have fetched that are maintained by him have this problem.

Mark Berryman