/snip/
   " As far as I know, his previous criminal career consisted of defrauding the
stockholders in a company in which he himself was the only stockholder."
/snip/
It looks like MY already called you on this, while I was writing, but
nevertheless:
I believe that he was accused of not actually processing the waste in any
significant volume, and ended up just stockpiling waste. It reminds me of a
story in the U.S., where a crematorium found it was cheaper to just stack the
bodies up and give cement dust to the customers, than acually run the furnace.
AFAIK his "gold smuggling" conviction had to do with illegal import/export of
Gold (from Switzerland?), and not just defrauding himself.
His time with thermoelectric generators at LTI is the time I find the most
troubling. His apparent overstatement of performance, failure to produce a
working product, "factory fire", move to Italy, blaming subcontractors, etc.
raises serious concerns. When government time and expense was used to
essentially take over his manufacturing, he still could not exceed the industry
norm.