On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Mark Iverson-ZeroPoint
<zeropo...@charter.net> wrote:

> Mary wrote:
>
> “If I call you to come see I can fly and I sit there and flap my arms, and I
> do this or different people do this a hundred times, are you going to come
> the hundredth and first?   The example isn't quite so silly as it seems if
> you remember the claims for transcendental meditation and flight.”
>
> Mary, this is such a pathetic analogy as to be laughable… in your
> arm-flapping example you’re dealing with macroscopic elements and classical
> physics.   It is just laughable to compare that with what could be happening
> in cold fusion, or magnet motors or water as a fuel, where, certainly in the
> CF case we are likely dealing with quantum mechanical interactions, and this
> could also be involved in the latter cases.

I disagree.  Let's leave cold fusion out.  As far as running a car on
water and making a magnet-based device which yields "free energy",
those do not deal with any known interactions, quantum mechanical or
otherwise.  They are pure fantasy or fraud.  There is nothing in any
discipline I know about suggesting that either of those tasks are
doable.  There is no evidence anyone has ever done or could do it.
There is no reason whatever to believe it any more than that I could
have discovered how to fly by flapping my arms.  Free energy
generation from magnetic motors is incompatible with the laws of
thermodynamics.

Could there ever be a compelling reason to consider those two claims?
 Sure.  But it would have to be extraordinarily clear and compelling.
What we know about nature and how things work make both claims
exceedingly unlikely.  And it doesn't help that most are made by known
scammers, conmen, and convicted criminals.