FWIW, I use tritium-illuminated sights on my compound bow.
See:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium_illumination

Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 17:48:58 -0500
From: jedrothw...@gmail.com
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: [Vo]:The biological effects of radiation are difficult to quantify

    Mary Yugo wrote:

                    And by the way, it's expensive.

            It is much cheaper than inadvertently irradiating
              hundreds of thousands of people.

          What's wrong with ordinary radiation detectors?

    You can measure radioactivity with instruments but you cannot
    predict what effect it will have on different species. Different
    power levels, the overall dose, and different types of radioactivity
    have different effects. You have to first measure the radioactivity
    a cold fusion reactor produces (if any) and then subject various
    species to that level and type of radiation for extended periods.
    Just knowing how much there is does not give you an accurate picture
    of how much risk it presents. Unless the dose is so high it causes
    immediate damage or death, it is hard to estimate how much damage it
    will cause. Biology is complex and unpredictable.

          Or do you think animals are used to verify that
          conventional nuclear  power plants are safe?   Maybe they use
          canaries?

    They use a variety of species. I doubt that includes canaries.

    The standards for things like a safe level of human exposure are
    mostly educated guesses. Actual ill health varies a great deal from
    one person to another. Some people can be exposed to high levels
    without ill effects. Children are much more vulnerable than adults.
    There are exact levels of allowed radiation written into laws, but
    the science is murky. The standards had to be raised in Japan in
    response to Fukushima disaster. Otherwise they would not run out of
    skilled workers to fix the reactor.

    There has been a great deal of coverage of this in the Japanese
    press, and I discussed it with some Japanese scientists.

    At the National Plasma Fusion Science Lab in Nagoya, they exposed
    fish and other species to tritium at levels much higher than
    national standards allows. (Standards in Japan, the U.S. and Europe
    are pretty much the same, I gather.) They saw no ill effects.
    Tritium is a lot safer than people think. That's good because I
    believe tritium is the most common radioactive product from cold
    fusion, and it is difficult to contain.