Mary Yugo wrote:

          And by the way, it's expensive.

    It is much cheaper than inadvertently irradiating hundreds of
    thousands of people.

What's wrong with ordinary radiation detectors?

You can measure radioactivity with instruments but you cannot predict what effect it will have on different species. Different power levels, the overall dose, and different types of radioactivity have different effects. You have to first measure the radioactivity a cold fusion reactor produces (if any) and then subject various species to that level and type of radiation for extended periods. Just knowing how much there is does not give you an accurate picture of how much risk it presents. Unless the dose is so high it causes immediate damage or death, it is hard to estimate how much damage it will cause. Biology is complex and unpredictable.

Or do you think animals are used to verify that conventional nuclear power plants are safe? Maybe they use canaries?

They use a variety of species. I doubt that includes canaries.

The standards for things like a safe level of human exposure are mostly educated guesses. Actual ill health varies a great deal from one person to another. Some people can be exposed to high levels without ill effects. Children are much more vulnerable than adults. There are exact levels of allowed radiation written into laws, but the science is murky. The standards had to be raised in Japan in response to Fukushima disaster. Otherwise they would not run out of skilled workers to fix the reactor.

There has been a great deal of coverage of this in the Japanese press, and I discussed it with some Japanese scientists.

At the National Plasma Fusion Science Lab in Nagoya, they exposed fish and other species to tritium at levels much higher than national standards allows. (Standards in Japan, the U.S. and Europe are pretty much the same, I gather.) They saw no ill effects. Tritium is a lot safer than people think. That's good because I believe tritium is the most common radioactive product from cold fusion, and it is difficult to contain.