I wrote:

> So if Brian Ahern's anecdotal data are allowed, titanium can yield both
> power and localized cooling (perhaps energy is being fed into the system
> from the power outlet to accomplish this).

I'm all mixed up.  There are the ice packs, which absorb heat during a
phase transition from solid to liquid.  So (thinking out loud) there need
not be a violation of CoE or the second law of thermodynamics for the
titanium system to cool down, and there is more than one pathway that could
account for this phenomenon.  Importantly, there are temperature and heat,
and in the case of ice packs, latent heat, and they need to be
distinguished.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_pack

The temperature of ice packs decreases because they have a high "enthalpy
of fusion" (not to be confused with nuclear fusion).  But there is still
energy (heat) going into the system, causing the overall energy to increase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthalpy_of_fusion

According to the second article, most substances have a positive enthalpy
of fusion, while 3He and 4He have negative enthalpies of fusion at low
temperatures.  This means they freeze rather than melt with the addition of
heat.

Eric