From: Axil Axil <janap...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Mon, Jul 30, 2012 5:42 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Koch founded climate skeptic changes sides

Various proxymeasurements have been used to attempt to determine atmospheric
carbon dioxidelevels millions of years in the past. These include boron and
carbon isotoperatios in certain types of marine sediments, and the number of
stomata observedon fossil plant leaves.

While these measurements give much less preciseestimates of carbon dioxide
concentration than ice cores, there is evidence forvery high CO2 volume
concentrations between 200 and 150 millionyears ago ( Ma) of over 3,000 ppm and
between 600 and 400 Ma of over 6,000 ppm.In more recent times, atmospheric CO2
concentration continued tofall after about 60 Ma.

About 34 Ma, the time of the Eocene-Oligoceneextinction event and when the
Antarctic ice sheet started to take its currentform, CO2 is found to have been
about 760 ppm, and there isgeochemical evidence that volume concentrations were
less than 300 ppm by about20 Ma.

Carbon dioxide decrease, with a tipping point of 600 ppm, was theprimary agent
forcing Antarctic glaciation. Low CO2 concentrationsmay have been the stimulus
that favored the evolution of C4 carbon fixation plants, which increasedgreatly
in abundance between 7 and 5 Ma.

Cheers:   Axil