Robin, plasma physics has some interesting behavior regarding the kink
instability that you should consider here.  Specifically, consider a
current traveling through a plasma in a straight line -- no "kink".  Now
consider a helical path for that same current so that it forms what might
be thought of as an electromagnet through the center of the helix.  Each
turn in the helix attracts the one adjacent to it, just as do the turns in
a solid electromagnet.  However, unlike a solid electromagnet there is
nothing that prevents these turns from merging.  When they inevitably
collapse into a single toroid and pinch off the current a kind of
"singularity" occurs that has much in common with an induction coil driven
spark gap.  I don't know what the equations for this look like but it is
easy for me to imagine that current could be "transformed" into voltage
during this transition -- yielding _very_ energetic electrons.