Kevin O'Malley <kevmol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> . . . there is no possible way to adequately explain the lack
> of gammas in LENR - other than that they never happened at all.

I know little of theory, but that has long been my gut feeling. Some cold
fusion cells to produce gamma rays but I think this is a secondary effect,
or something completely unrelated such as fracto fusion.

I have heard many theory presentations in which the author speculates that
some complex mechanism manages to catch nearly all -- but not quite all! --
of the gammas before they come out of the lattice. This seems extremely
unlikely to me. How could the mechanism be so exquisitely tuned to make it
work 99.999999% of the time but not the last faction of times?

Here is something that often happens in science and technology. People
discover X, and then later on they discover Y. Because they happen to find
X first, they assume that Y is a variant or subset of X. They assume that X
sets the general rule and Y must be something along similar lines which
follows the same rules and where there is a variation that variation must
be explained separately as a special case.

It often turns out that Y is the general case, and X was a variation. Or it
turns out that the two of them are unrelated.

We naturally assume that cold fusion is some sort of variation of plasma
fusion, because we discovered plasma fusion first. For all anyone can say,
it might turn out that plasma fusion is an unusual high-temperature variety
of cold fusion.

In the case of technology, we develop a method of doing something and then
when new and better machines are developed we bring along the old method
out of force of habit. We assume that this is how you should do things so
let's continue doing it that way, even though the circumstances have
changed. This is why newly invented machines look quaint were oddly out of
kilter a few years later. The early automobiles looked like "horseless
carriages" because they were, in the literal sense. A carriage for a horse
can be built high off the road. Making automobiles that way is a bad idea
because they travel much faster and they are blown around.  Model T Fords
driven in windy conditions or high speed blew all over the road. It took 20
or 30 years before people began to make automobiles streamlined and low to
the road.