On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 7:33 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

 Eric, you seem to be suggesting some form of isomer of He4.  I suppose if
> that is possible, then it would allow the energy a temporary storage
> location before it becomes released.   Is there any evidence that this
> happens?

None on my part.  I'll have to defer to more knowledgeable folks on this
question, although it's a handy conceptual device for making sense of the
different d+d branches.  I know that in other nuclear reactions there are
some branches that lead to metastable isomers that then go on to decay
further, often emitting a gamma ray, although I don't know that that is
what is happening in this instance.  Since the proposed two-deuteron
resonance is so unstable that it lasts for a very small amount of time,
calling it an isomer might be a misnomer.

Eric