On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Edmund Storms <stor...@ix.netcom.com>wrote:

If this is the idea, then it is useless out of the box. First of all,
> X-rays are not normally applied, yet LENR occurs.

There is at least one other pathway by which the reaction can get started
-- since Ron's mechanism is thought to be sustained by energetic alpha
particles exciting k-shell levels in palladium atoms, it could be initiated
by the alpha decay of a radioactive impurity atom in the lattice.  This is
just one example; there are no doubt many other pathways by which to
achieve the same effect.  I think you have more work to do to establish
that the idea is useless on this particular basis.

> Second, when X-rays have been applied to all kinds of materials, including
> PdD, NO LENR is observed.

I would be very interested in any references to experiments in which 20+
keV x-rays were applied to loaded palladium deuteride.

When high energy IS applied by ion bombardment, the result is HOT FUSION
> not COLD FUSION.

There is obviously experimental evidence for the hot fusion branches in the
ion beam experiments (e.g., branches leading to n, t and 3He daughters).
 But I think it is an assumption that only these branches are seen during
ion bombardment and that LENR is not also taking place.  This assumption
could be mistaken.

Cold fusion will occur without any energy being applied and become more
> intense if applied energy is increased. Therefore, LENR is not started by
> any applied energy other than normal temperature or small chemical effects.
>  Furthermore, this process simply CAN NOT occur in a normal material. Ron
> ignores this fact.

None of these statements conflict with Ron's theory, except perhaps the
very last two, which appear to import assumptions relating to Gibbs free
energy and the establishment of an NAE, and so on, which are your ideas.
 They are no doubt very useful ideas, but I have yet to be convinced that
they are hard and fast requirements in view of what might be different
behavior in some gas phase experiments.

Eric