I think this paper might address the "coupling term in the Hamiltonian"
you're asking about.

http://amsdottorato.unibo.it/3777/1/dalmonte_marcello_tesi.pdf

1.1.1 Mermin-Wagner-Hohenberg theorem
One of the main general results in 1D physics is related to the
so called spontaneous symmetry breaking
(SSB) mechanism[12, 13, 14]. In statistical
mechanics and quantum field theory, when a certain ground state exhibits
less symmetry than the related Hamiltonian, one says that a certain sym-
metry has been broken: that’s the essence of SSB. While various interesting
phenomena, such as the emergence of superconductivity, can be explained
in these terms, the most intuitive view on the subject is usually associ-
ated with the emergence of spontaneous magnetization in solids: given
a certain ordered configuration C which minimizes the energy functional,
an exactly opposite configuration C ′with the same energy always exists.
Nonetheless, the state of the system is not invariant under transformation
C↔C′, and thus this exchange symmetry is broken[13].
The curious point is, in low dimensional systems, SSB suffers from
a no-go theorem known as the Mermin-Wagner(MW) theorem
(or Mermin-Wagner-Hohenberg(MWH) theorem). In their seminal paper [1
5], Mermin and Wagner showed that the Heisenberg model
cannot display a finite magnetization m(h) at finite temperature in one and
two dimension, and at zero temperature in one dimension, if the interac-
tion coefficients are short-range...