Tomas Edison the founder of GE, could give and take with the best of them.

For example, several months after Edison employed Tesla, Tesla announced
that his work assignment was successfully completed. When Tesla asked to be
paid, however, Edison seemed astonished. He explained that the offer of
$50,000 had been made in jest. "When you become a full-fledged American you
will appreciate an American joke," Edison said. Shocked and disgusted,
Tesla immediately resigned.