On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 6:03 PM, Axil Axil <janap...@gmail.com> wrote:

I find it difficult to understand a situation where a multi-million dollar
> company can exist and prosper for a quarter century without the development
> of a single commercially viable product...

Here in California some startups will start out with a round of seed
funding.  They'll go along for a year, two or three and then do some soul
searching, at which point they might "pivot," i.e., take a different tack
or even a new direction.  Typically a startup will not pivot more than
once; possibly they'll pivot twice over the years.  In most cases, within
four years, say, they'll either have established a viable business selling
a real product, or at least have built a real product that is useful to
people, even if it does not yet make money (e.g., Twitter).  The fact that
BLP have pivoted several times over a period of 25 years and keep on going
strongly suggests that they're working under a different set of pressures
than a typical startup, even one that is research-oriented.

Eric