>From Axil:

> In short order, my colleague lost his job, was banned, and was never rehired.
> As a real word

> prerogative and a practical life lessen, when staying in business and making
> money is more

> important than dispensing the truth, the pursuit of truth suffers.

FWIW:

Late last year I was deeply involved in an attempt to upgrade our new high
volume scanning equipment to a new software version. There had been endless
delays that seemed to hamper our efforts to complete the upgrade process. The
truth of the matter, the new software upgrade was a POS. At one meeting, a
meeting which had not been attended by my new supervisor, a new supervisor who
had been hired only a few months prior, I tried to dispense some "truth" of the
matter to some of the users who used the scanning software. The users already
knew the software was a POS. We ALL knew the software was a POS. Nevertheless,
I asked the user supervisor to give us... give me additional time to work out
the bugs in the upgrade process. However in order to accomplish this we needed
to step back and continue using current software version for a little while
longer. Unfortunately, the user supervisor, misinterpreted my suggestion as an
attempt to stop the upgrade process altogether. No amount of effort on my part
could convince this user that if we could just back off for a little while
longer and continue to use the current software version, I would eventually get
most of the worst bugs worked out. Then we could upgrade. At the end of that
meeting I was both drained and frustrated. I felt I had failed in my efforts to
ameliorate my user's quite justified frustrations over the on-going software
upgrade issues we were all battling with. The meeting happened late Friday
afternoon. I was glad it was the weekend.

Monday morning I was called into the office of my new supervisor. He read me
the riot act. He basically told me that the software conversion was going on
schedule no matter what I had to say on the matter. What dumbfounded me was the
fact that my new supervisor, a supervisor who was supposed to be in my ball
court, had ended up misinterpreting what I had said to the user supervisor as
well. He, too, thought I was trying to stop the upgrade process. He took what
the user supervisor had claimed I had said and had never bother to ask me what
I had actually said at that meeting. My supervisor essentially threatened my
employment status if I didn't shape up very soon. During our little meeting,
after I told my supervisor what I actually had said, I noticed he immediately
pivoted. He then accused me of not communicating properly with my users. In
other words, it was still all my fault.

It was at that point in my 36+ years career working for the state of Wisconsin
when I realized it was time for me to start seriously planning my exit
strategy. When there is that amount of dysfunctional communication occurring at
the management level, there is no point constantly trying to fix things when
you, yourself, occasionally become the target of management's wrath.

There is an epilogue to this story: The new software version was, in turn,
upgraded to an even newer version about six months later. The upgrade was done
so on urgent request from the software company. They too, knew the previous
software version was a total POS. The next upgrade was just as much a harrowing
experience as the previous upgrade had been... and in some cases even worse. I
lost several sleepless nights. But in the end, after the proverbial sh#t had
once again hit the fan, and boy did it smell, and the guilty parties were
finally fingered out I noticed that the same supervisor now seemed to be much
more pleased with my current job performance. Nevertheless, I continue to plan
my exit strategy. I have no interest in finding out whether Dr. Jekyll might on
a moment's notice revert back t o Mr. Hyde based on another miscommunication
snafu. At least I'm lucky in that I still have my job. I can continue planning
my eventual exit strategy in an orderly fashion.

So, yes, I sympathize with the plight of your engineering colleague. In my
experience software engineers can be just as pathologically honest. It's also
been my experience that management can occasionally act like they don't know
what they are doing. The means: the truth of the matter often gets shoved down
the toilet.

* * *

But what does what you had to say about the unfortunate circumstances
pertaining to your engineering colleague plus what I had to say about my own
recent employment predicament have to do with Dr. Mills? You seem to be
implying that Dr. Mills is deliberately behaving in a dishonest way. If so,
please elaborate on what it is "the doctor" is deliberately doing that you feel
is dishonest? It is at least obvious to me that "the doctor" truly believes in
the truthfulness of CQM theory. Perhaps you don't. If so, it seems to me that
what might believe to be the truth is just as much a matter of personal
interpretation as it is for Dr. Mills to believe in his own version of truth.
As for me, I certainly don't have enough physics under my belt to say either
yay or nay on the matter. Rather, my point is: Someone believing in something
for which you might not believe is the real truth of the matter is not grounds
to imply that the other party behaving in a dishonest way. From my POV, that
seems to be what you are implying here. Please enlighten me if I have
misinterpreted your intentions on this matter.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

svjart.orionworks.com

zazzle.com/orionworks