I guess this should all work, as long as you don't get one of your POP accounts to delete messages from the server when you download it.

Rob

On 14/10/2015 7:08 pm, Neil Houghton wrote:
Hi Pete, Hi Daniel,

I've been following this thread with some interest. If I understand the
thread, the decision as to whether an account is IMAP or POP should be set
at the hosting server and then the account in the email program has to be
set to match (ie use the same protocol).

Georgie & I have our own domains and generally use email accounts we have
set-up on those. We have VERY limited email storage associated with these
accounts and so we use POP and download everything from the server. No
problems here except that there is also limited bandwidth and so
occasionally we can hit the bandwidth limit. At some stage I will upgrade
the hosting package which will address the storage/bandwidth limitations.

Our broadband provider (Internode) also provides email and so I set-up an
internode email address for each of us - more as a back-up, we don't really
use them as they would disappear if we changed Broadband providers.

I set these up several years ago, so I don't really remember the steps
involved - but I can see that the email accounts on the computer are set as
POP accounts and everything works fine (test emails to and from both mine &
Georgies accounts.

Now, here's where it gets confusing....

Recently Georgie was getting (and due to get) quite a lot of emails with
large phoo files attached - so I suggested she use her internode email
address to avoid running into bandwidth/storage limitations on her personal
email accounts. She had forgotten that she had this account and it was only
configured on the computers so she asked me to set-up the account on her
iPhone - which I did - only to find that mail on IOS automatically set up an
IMAP account!

So now it seems that there is an IMAP account on the iPhone and POP accounts
on several computers all connecting to the same basic Internode email
account. All seem to work well and send and receive email OK.

The IMAP account leaves messages on the server (as you would expect). The
POP accounts on the secondary computers also leave messages on the server
(as they have been set to do) and the POP account on her main computer
downloads messages from the server (as it has been set to do).

I currently have 15 email accounts set-up in my email client on my computer
and ALL are POP - so I would prefer to just keep everything the same.
However Mail on IOS on the iPhones just automatically sets the internode
accounts to IMAP and does not let me select POP.

So I seem to have a hybrid IMAP/POP set-up - which just seems wrong!
However, it all seems to work OK!

Any comments? Am I likely to run into any problems with this set-up?

Cheers

Neil