Hi Ronni,

on 16/10/15 12:11, Ronni Brown at ro...@mac.com wrote:

> Hi Peter, Neil and Michael,
>
> Starting in  iOS 6 the iOS email setup became smarter, and tries to figure out
> whether your ISP supports IMAP, and if it does, creates an IMAP account on the
> iPhone.
OK, so this explains the new problem ­ previous POP accounts se-up prior to
iOS 6 -  but because Internode supports IMAP iOS 7 unilaterally decides that
I need an IMAP set-up!

> If your ISP does not support IMAP it creates a POP3 account.
> There are 2 problems with this added intelligence:
> 1. Sometimes it makes a mistake, and creates a POP account even if the ISP
> supports IMAP.
> 2. Sometimes even if your ISP supports IMAP you might prefer a POP account. (I
> don¹t know why people would butŠ)
Because our personal domains are only used for email, we went cheap and only
have 20MB of disk storage... I know I should get around to upgrading the
package and paying for more ­ but, really, it has been working fine for us
for years so it¹s not a high priority. I save a LOT of emails (my Entourage
database is currently 4GB!) - again I really need a cleanout but there is
always some other priority ;o)

I also don¹t want to think about the implications of IMAP accounts on my
personal domain servers and the back-up/recovery systems needed - I really
want all my saved emails all in one place on my main computer (with
comprehensive backups) and my current system works well (for me!)

> I¹ve had this happen where the iPhone would auto select POP even though the
> server supported IMAP.
> One way you can force the setup to give you a choice of POP or IMAP.
> Is to type in a fake email address dpj...@dpe.sp when setting it up, iOS will
> then try to auto-discover the account settings when it can¹t it will ask you
> to fill in the server details and you can select POP or IMAP.
OK, I may try this at some stage ­ but it currently seems to work OK so it
may have to wait ;o)

> Cheers,
> Ronni
>
> 13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
> 1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
> 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
> 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
>
> El Capitan OS X 10.11

Ronni, thanks very much for your explanations and suggestions ­ clear and
concise as always.

I now know exactly why I could set-up the POP accounts before but not now. I
also have a suggested fix if I decide I need to change to POP on the phone.

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton