2009/3/13 Stephen Swaney <sswa...@centurytel.net>
> Perhaps I'm becoming a neo-Luddite or perhaps I've been in this
> business too long, but I find the lack of a single shared repository
> disturbing.  I do know a software development effort lives and dies on
> the basis of its source code management.
>
> The ability to branch freely is great but without a primary location
> for the source keeping track of who is 'it' sounds difficult. How do
> we keep all the package maintainers connected to what is going on?
> I'm betting they run build scripts to do a checkout from the
> 'official' repository when they go to build.

I echo this. Having a single repository makes sure conflicts get
resolved quickly. If we don't have that, then what do we have? Several
versions of Warzone, each incompatible with each other, and no way to
easily merge them?

I mean, I wouldn't mind having my local copy as a separate repo, but
it should be merged with trunk fairly quickly. In short, I prefer the
current way.

In addition, Git doesn't have anywhere near as good a Windows GUI as
TortoiseSVN. I like being able to diff/blame/make-patch in around two
clicks. Committing is two clicks. Unless you only want to commit some
files, in which case it gives a list with a bunch of checkboxes. All
versioned files are checked by default, and there are buttons to check
all, none, or versioned only.

That's the kind of thing I imagine will be much more complex with a
commandline. :/ I can handle using a commandline if I have to (I
currently have no better way to compile than to type "mingw32-make -f
makefile.win32" - the longest string I have muscle memory for. I
should make that my password somewhere), but I'd really prefer my
lovely TortoiseSVN GUI.

-Zarel