On 3/13/09, Zarel <zare...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I again suggest Google Code (SVN). The last time I suggested it, the
>  only objection was that EvilGuru disliked that even though Google
>  would near certainly accept the request, they have the choice to
>  reject the request. Which is a rather silly objection, since Gna had a
>  project approval process, too. Google just has it for projects larger
>  than 100 MB.
>
>  I could e-mail them and ask. I would send them something like:
>
>  > Hello, Google Code staff.
>  >
>  > We, the developers of Warzone 2100, an open-source cross-platform
>  > real-time strategy game (wz2100.net), are considering hosting our project
>  > at Google Code.
>  >
>  > Our project is fairly large - each branch is around 200-600 MB
>  > uncompressed (Trunk is 400-600 MB depending on whether or not
>  > FMVs/cinematics are included), an installer is ~50 MB, not including
>  > the FMVs/cinematics, which are ~130 MB. In other words, we're well
>  > above your default 100 MB limit.
>  >
>  > Can you host us?
>  >
>  > - Zarel
>
>  Objections? Approval?

I am *not* against SVN.  I  *am* against a host that isn't reliable.
If GoogleCode is reliable, then I am willing to use them.

I assume we would have to do a svn repo import, since if google
doesn't allow this, then I doubt that anyone would want to switch.
All the history will be gone.

For space, it looks like we need at least 2-3 GB by the end of the
year, assuming they offer a ftp directory, where we can host all the
nightly builds & other external files this project uses.
GNA has no real limit it seems, until they yell at us.

For SVN space, since a copy is a 'cheap' copy, I think Gerard said the
whole repo is around 400MB now.  I would think asking for 1GB would be
OK?
Or ask what happens if the repo becomes full?

Perhaps wait for the others to chime in on this though, before you go asking?