On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Hugi Thordarson <h...@karlmenn.is> wrote:

> >> Cayenne is still missing a lot of functionality when compared to
> EOF/Wonder and generally feels less mature (understandably, since EOF is
> ancient). This is perhaps not such a huge problem, since functionality can
> always be added—but there is indeed a *lot* of work to be done to reach
> feature parity with EOF.
> >
> > That seems like an overstatement to me.  What things is it missing that
> you need?
>
> Well, it isn't exactly "big things" that are missing, but rather an
> aggregation of a lot of small things. Things I can live without, but would
> rather not. EOF, Foundation, Wonder and the tools have 20 years of
> refinement and integration in their design so moving from EOF to Cayenne
> feels a little like moving from a Mercedes to a Wolkswagen Bug.
>
> Lack of IDE support,

There is an Eclipse plugin, but it is not totally baked yet.

> no prototypes,

Cayenne already does the "switching databases" part of prototypes. The
"faster model creation" part would be a nice add perhaps, but you get part
of it (the java type assigment) already in Cayenne by auto-generating the
ObjEntity from the DbEntity.

no KVC

This is already in ERCayenne

> , "getAccessor" (ugh)

The templates in ERCayenne don't use the get prefix

> , limited support for inheritance,

True

> no ERXKey means no type safe queries and strings everywhere,

ERXKey is in ERCayenneExample and I'll be committing a version Cayenne
itself in the next few days.

> somewhat buggy modeler

I fixed a couple of the more annoying problems last week.  Other than that
I'm not aware of any behaviors that are truly bugs. But usability could
certainly be improved.

> with no support for cross-model relationships

This is not true anymore if it was before.  3.1 includes the idea of a
default node (basically a connection dictionary), so you can load models
that are generic, framework level and use them along with your own model.

> , no crossing relationships in raw row fetches (which makes it harder to
> create reports from huge object graphs)

True, this is the biggest gap I've come across - I have an app that does
exactly that.  However, there are a few built-in alternatives, namely
SQLTemplate and EJBQLQuery. But if you have a lot of this in your app,
you'll probably want to wait to consider migrating.

> , no Project Wonder EO stuff etc. etc.

I have some Cayenne implementations of the specific utilities that I used
from Wonder, but yes, this represents work to be done.

> Now, I know this comparison is unfair to Cayenne which is in fact great,
> and Andrus and the others have done an amazing job. EOF is just hard to
> beat, because EOF is very, very good. And as I said, Cayenne will no doubt
> get there, I just believe it will take a lot of work.

Just a little work I think.  The things that have to be done are almost all
approachable by average developers.