> What harm is avoided by eliminating the ambiguity you refer to, Pine?

One of the harms is that aspiring chapters don't know what standards we
should be aiming to meet, because the standards are vague. Another
harm is that the Affiliations Committee doesn't have clear criteria to
apply,
which means that decisions are likely to be more subjective and
inconsistent than the decisions would be if there was a more specific
set of criteria.

As I mentioned in my previous email, I feel that it's okay to have some
flexibility in the requirements, such as by saying "a chapter must meet
four of
the following six criteria" or "this particular requirement may be met in
one
or more of the following ways". But those flexible criteria should be
clearly
defined.

> How is that damage ameliorated by, as you suggest, re-classifying
> a chapter as a user group?

I feel that this is a separate issue. There should be no privilege attached
already being a chapter. It is unfair to apply one set of criteria to
existing
chapters, and a much tighter set of criteria to aspiring chapters. Chapter
status should be linked with a substantial level of current or recent
activity
in Wikimedia.

Chapter activity levels may decrease for many reasons, some of which
are beyond their control, such as if a fire breaks out in their office, or
if an
especially strong community organizer leaves the country. If such things
happen and the activity level or membership level of the organization
decrease, it is reasonable (if not desirable) to have the organization,
which
now would resemble a user group rather than a chapter, actually be
categorized as a user group until the organization recovers. I would call
this
"truth in advertising". It's not comfortable, but it is the reality, and it
would give the group a strong incentive to re-energize itself and return its
levels of membership and activity to the levels that it once had, rather
than
allowing it to keep the privileges of chapter status with few of the
responsibilities and expectations.

Pine