We need to focus on building communities

To me the first thing that should change is rather than focusing on how to
bring down chapters we should be focusing on how to further improve and
promote the affiliate network, its as simple as saying Affcom can provide
x,y,z to help support the expansion of chapters, it also has a,b,c to
assist user groups to expand...

I seam to remeber that the Affcom was originally created so Affiliates
could help each other grow, not to give individuals a stick to whip others
into submission.

I would rather a vague criteria, with groups being able to chose their own
path and obtain what ever support they need and see growth in affiliates
than see hundreds of pointless arguments about whether 5 with 100 attendees
or 6 events with 10 attendees is enough when we know that one person or
more precisely one volunteer contribute a to great deal of difference.
Our people or the people are our greatest assets not numbers

On 23 August 2016 at 05:01, Chris Keating <chriskeatingw...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Does the Affiliations Committee have a list of existing chapters which do
> > not meet the proposed criteria? I think we should at least get a sense
> for
> > that, and those chapters should be notified and be put on the path to
> > meeting standards or losing their status.
> >

> Hi Ben,
>
> The closest is this table for eligibility for the Wikimedia Conference:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_
> 2016/Eligibility_Criteria
>
> That did not apply the same criteria as AffCom are using, but you can see
> that there were 2 chapters which appeared to be entirely inactive, and a
> further 3 that had some kind of activity but were not reporting activity in
> the terms required by their chapter agreements or grants.
>
> In general, I think that it is sensible to have a method of inactive
> chapters to be de-recognised - just as it is also useful for User Groups
> working towards chapter status to know what they are meant to be working
> towards.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris Keating
> User:The Land