Having personally been subject of a case of sexual harassment at an unrelated event a few years back where I was supposedly the victim, I have to wonder even about those. Seriously, what the hell /is/ sexual harassment? Because in my case, apparently me butting into a conversation just to be an arse constituted me being sexually harassed, which... just... what? (I only found out about this at all because it was in the godsdamn news.)

Meanwhile we probably actually have real cases of folks being harassed or even assaulted and they don't even realise that's what's going on either because everything's all hushy hush and they've no sensible examples of what's worth going to help for themselves, or anything to show what is or isn't apt to just blow up in their face in practice so they actually feel /safe/ doing so. Seriously, if we don't talk about this stuff, how is anyone supposed to learn from it? How the hell is the current code of conduct supposed to be refined? How are we as a community supposed to address any existing issues?

Obviously we need something to protect the folks involved, but this is just a mess as is. I haven't even felt at all safe going to the CoC folks about other things that have happened in venues subject to the CoC, for much the same reason, and while that was just incidents of frayed nerves overflowing and someone yelling at me for what turned out to be a total miscommunication anyway, I wound up having to remove myself from a D&D game I was a part of as a result because I just couldn't focus properly on anything for awhile afterwards AND YOU KNOW IT WOULD SURE HELP IF WE HAD REASONABLE PEOPLE TO GO TO TO JUST... HELP SMOOTH THINGS OVER AND TELL US IT'S OKAY OR STUFF. WITHOUT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING BEING MADE WORSE FOR ANYONE INVOLVED OR GETTING BANNED OURSELVES OR CRAP.

Feckin'...

-I