On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 11:15 AM Stefan Baur <x2go-m...@baur-itcs.de> wrote:
> NX is stable, NX is what they're used to, so they ask for it to be used.
> We're way past the stage where we could negotiate "Can't we just use
> KDrive instead of NX?".

The question is: what's the key point that makes them love NX?

> I would also like to remind you that I don't consider KDrive
> production-ready for general use yet.  It may work for Alex' customers,
> but last time I tried, I still saw quite a few quirks due to the session
> not recognizing that it is a remote session (showing popups that only
> make sense for a local user, granting permissions that a remote user
> should not have, etc.).

Well, KDrive is working as a replacement for x2goagent. And both are
working as an X server. The session setup should be the same (x2go
scripts). So from the OS view there's no difference. So I don't really
understand the points you made above. They are probably not tied to
KDrive but some other configuration issue and should happen the same
for x2goagent on the same system.

> So I doubt we'll see KDrive support becoming generally available until
> the next major releases of the most popular long-term distros.
> And that's not how long a sponsor should have to wait for a sponsored
> feature.  Plus it might have a negative impact on their willingness to
> fund further work.
>
> In a Pre-Corona world, I would have said I'd like to see results before
> or at the next Gathering.  But if we get hit with another infection
> wave, who knows when the next Gathering will be, so that's not really an
> "anchor" for a time frame I would like to use right now. ;-)

Which might even boost the whole thing because people tend to have
more time. Unfortunately that's not valid for me... ;-(

> Maybe you could grab the NX output while still on the host (like,
> running a fake X2GoClient directly on the server), then push the output
> towards the HTML5 client the same way Alex' KDrive-HTML5 solution does?
> That could work as some kind of compatibility layer.  That way, the DE

As I wrote before: this makes NX absolutely obsolete. You can then
just use kdrive and be fine.

Uli