Gareth Reakes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Scott Cantor wrote:
>>> I'm willing to take a first-pass at a new build infrastructure and
>>> re-factoring. Following that, it's going to require testing and
>>> (perhaps) re-porting of various platformas/architectures/compilers
>>> to the new system. But, as I tried to explain above, this task
>>> should be much simpler (or even unneeded in many cases) with a true
>>> autoconf based build.
>> I'm unable to contribute much in the way of code because I can't
>> easily sign
>> the ASF contributor's agreement, but I am definitely willing to volunteer to
>> help with the autoconf work and with testing it. I'm no expert, but I'm
>> learning and have managed to pick up the basics.
>
> Our build expert here, John Snelson, will be happy to put in a couple
> of days as well.

Hi Gareth and Scott,

This is *really* great.

Let me say again: This is *superb* ...

I am one of the victims of the current Xerces-C build system. The
majority of the emails on the Xerces-P list are from people who need
to build Xerces-C before they can build Xerces-P.

Perl can automate all of this if ./configure && make && make install
worked out of the box, but it doesn't, so people get massively lost
and confused. All they want to do is write some simple Perl code to
handle their XML issue, and suddenly they have to learn a whole lot of
stuff about building Xerces-C - and they get frustrated and never come
back.

Most of the people never even bother writing an email to the mailing
list - they just throw up their hands figuring our work is immature
and not usable - and they use one of the other Perl XML projects
instead - projects which are less useful, and have fewer features, and
much worse efficiency, but simpler build systems.

In the non-windows world the mantra is:

 ./configure && make && make install

I'll contribute to this effort in any way I can.

Cheers,
jas.