> I'm willing to take a first-pass at a new build infrastructure and
> re-factoring. Following that, it's going to require testing and
> (perhaps) re-porting of various platformas/architectures/compilers to
> the new system. But, as I tried to explain above, this task should be
> much simpler (or even unneeded in many cases) with a true autoconf
> based build.

I'm unable to contribute much in the way of code because I can't easily sign
the ASF contributor's agreement, but I am definitely willing to volunteer to
help with the autoconf work and with testing it. I'm no expert, but I'm
learning and have managed to pick up the basics.

This is a *major* nightmare to deal with for me. The people asking "why"
have no idea how bad Xerces looks to some people because of the lack of
proper configure support.

I could say the same about openssl, of course. ;-) But one thing at a
time...

-- Scott